Open source web design from Opace
Opace was established so that we could bring the advantages of open source web design to a range of organisations – from large corporations to SMEs, to public sector, newly established companies, charities and not-for-profits.
Our expertise includes the following open source web applications and platforms:
Specialising in open source web design and open source development allows us to cost-effectively build websites that are tailored to our client's exact requirements. Being open source, our websites come bundled with lots of functions. They are simple to manage and can grow with our clients, as well as the latest technologies and trends.
What is 'open source' web design?
The term ‘open source’ is used to describe a model for developing things, for example a piece of software. Open source developments are usually carried out by a world-wide community and then made available to the public for free. Open source projects can come in all shapes and sizes, from comprehensive ecommerce and web design platforms to even Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and Customer Relationship Management (CRM). Open source web design is simply the process of using these existing open source platforms to create websites efficiently and to a high industry standard.
How does 'open source' differ from the way other companies work?
The difference between ‘open source’ and ‘bespoke’ development (which is the way most companies work) is that with open source, you start with a tried and tested system, whilst with bespoke development, you literally start from scratch.
Also bear in mind that while most web design agency do use open source software - they just don't tell you about it or may not even be aware themselves.
Our preferred platforms, Joomla and WordPress already power millions of websites and blogs so our clients can be certain they are getting a website and online-marketing solution, based on fully tested and supported systems.
What are the advantages of open source web design?
We are advocates of open source web design because of the many advantages it offers to our clients. These include:
- Free or low cost templates - There are thousands of open source web design templates available that can be downloaded within minutes, with designs to suit all types of business. These provide the developer with a head-start resulting in a shorter development time and lower development costs.
- Reduced costs to the client - Using an open source platform reduces the amount of time needed to develop the website and, with thousands of free plug-ins available, reduces development costs also.
- Ease of use - For many reasons, organisations want the ability to manage their website themselves. Open source web design platforms offer powerful CMS and ecommerce systems that allow for almost complete control without the need of third parties. With a little training, our clients soon find these systems easy to use.
- Additional features - Powerful and established platforms come with many built in features that can allow the websites to offer high levels of functions – either for clients or management functions. There is also an extensive community of developers providing free plug-ins that make sure your website is ‘future proof’ – including full integration with social media marketing.
- SEO friendly - SEO is essential for any website. As open source web design platforms have evolved over the years, they have recognised the value of SEO, easily allowing developers to produce search engine friendly websites, plug-ins and tools.
For more information on how Opace can help your company get the most from open source, call the web design team on 0845 017 7661.