This is our Digital Marketing Jargon Buster, where we provide some of the most popular digital marketing jargon FAQs, glossary definitions, questions and meanings.
From Black Hat Digital Marketing and Backlinks to Sitemaps and SEO, the lexicon of digital marketing terms includes plenty of abbreviations, acronyms and tech-lingo.
In this Digital Marketing Jargon Buster, we want to provide a comprehensive online marketing glossary to help the layperson understand some basic digital marketing terms as well as provide an online marketing questions and answers database that gives you actions as well as advice.
Basic Digital Marketing Terms
Whether you are using social media or email marketing, PPC advertising or relying on organic online growth through your content there are some basic digital marketing vocabulary which you should be familiar with, including acronyms and lingo such as:
- Bounce Rate
- CPA – Cost Per Acquisition
- CPI – Cost Per Impression
- CTA – Call To Action
- CTR – Click Through Rate
- DA – Domain Authority
- Engagement Rate
- KPI – Key Performance Indicator
- Lead Generation/Lead Magnet/Lead Nurturing
- Link Building
- PA – Page Authority
- PPC – Pay Per Click (advertising)
- SEO – Search Engine Optimisation
- SERP – Search Engine Results Page
- AMP - Accelerated Mobile PagesWhy AMP, or Accelerated Mobile Pages, are a key factor in the performance of your website in 2019, both with search engines and internet users. It’s all about page speed and AMP means faster loading times, lower bounce rates and better ranking with higher SERPs. - Read More
- Advertising - Top Online Advertising StrategiesHaving a strategy for your online advertising is an important way to capitalise on the power of low cost and effective marketing. 2019 will be another dynamic year for online advertising and, here, we give you the best strategies for driving performance. - Read More
- Bing v Google - SEOTailoring SEO is an important part of an integrated digital marketing strategy but do you know whether you should be adapting your site for Bing or Google to get the best traffic? The two search engine giants account for almost 90% of all online searches but which one is best for SEO? - Read More
- Bounce RateWhat is Bounce Rate? On their own, Bounce Rates can be misleading but combined with other tools they can help you improve your SEO. We find out whether a high Bounce Rate is a bad thing, what is a ‘good’ Bounce Rate and whether a low one gives you an edge over your competitors. - Read More
- Content Writing vs CopywritingA content writer and a copywriter both have important jobs when it comes to promoting your brand online but what are the key differences between the two? Here we discuss why should you make sure that your digital marketing strategy combines the skills of both. - Read More
- Digital Marketing - Advantages & DisadvantagesAdjusting your efforts around the advantages and disadvantages of digital marketing can open your eyes to potential pitfalls and optimise your overall strategy. To improve your results, we’ve written out the pros and cons you should be aware of while navigating the digital marketing world. - Read More
- Digital Marketing - ObjectivesDigital marketing defines your online presence, which means you must define your digital marketing. To move forward with a plan that yields the fullest results, browse through common digital marketing objectives and shape your upcoming strategies around them. - Read More
- Directory Sites - Best Business DirectoriesLooking to improve your SEO in 2019? Find out which are the best UK business directory sites for SEO, how to choose the right local and industry specific directories and boost your online visibility with free and freemium business directory site listings. - Read More
- Domain Name for Your WebsiteChoosing a website domain name takes careful consideration and should not be rushed into without first looking at what your URL says about your business. From the name itself to the extension you choose, there is plenty to research before you take the plunge. - Read More
- Duplicate Content & SEODuplicate content can have an impact on your SEO and reduce your online visibility when it comes to SERP performance. But, not all duplicate content is a result of plagiarism with some occurring without you realising it. Here we find out more about duplicate content that can harm your SEO. - Read More
- Events for SEO & Digital MarketingFind out what digital marketing events are happening in the UK during 2019 where you can network with other industry professionals, learn about the latest SEO and digital marketing trends plus access the latest information about how to improve your strategy for the coming year. - Read More
- Google My Business - OptimisationGoogle My Business is the most powerful free online business directory service that your company can benefit from. However, incomplete and poorly managed entries can damage your reputation just as optimising your listing can boost your online profile. Find out how in our full guide. - Read More
- Link Building - StrategiesLink building will continued to be an important part of an integrated digital marketing strategy for 2019 and will expand on traditional methods to include some new trends such as the rise in interest for data driven content, internal link building and claiming mentions. - Read More
- Magento eCommerce DeveloperChoosing the best Magento eCommerce developer means selecting someone who has 5 key skills to deliver your project on time, in budget and with high quality. Make sure you benchmark your developer with the qualities of knowledge, creativity, professionalism, commercial acumen and flexibility. - Read More
- Online Marketing CampaignsThe best online PR and Marketing Campaigns of 2018 were creative and memorable and drove customer engagement through the roof. The power of getting this right online is immediate delivery to your target audience and, if you manage to go viral, the potential to be seen by millions. - Read More
- Pinterest vs Instagram for SEOPinterest or Instagram? When it comes to deciding which visual media marketing platform to choose for the best SEO results, do you know which of the two biggest image and video sharing platforms are the best? We find out more in this quick comparison. - Read More
- Push & Pull MarketingTwo common terms used in online advertising but do you know the difference between push & pull marketing? More importantly, do you know which is better when it comes to achieving your online goals and how SEO plays a part? Find out in our quick guide to push & pull marketing. - Read More
- Social Media - Post SchedulingSocial media scheduling can be just as crucial as the content you create if you want to maximise the engagement with your audience. Here we find out what are the best times of the week to schedule social media posts discuss the importance of research and monitoring. - Read More
- Screaming Frog - SEO BenefitsThe best things in life are free and nobody in their right mind would turn their nose up at this powerful tool which gives some of the best SEO benefits around. Screaming Frog is an easy to use web crawler service which gives key insights into how you can boost your online visibility. - Read More
- SEO PredictionsThe world of SEO never stands still, which means early adopters and diligent readers can move ahead in ways that less active website managers cannot. Our SEO predictions for 2019 can help you forge a path towards future success and avoid falling behind. - Read More
- SEO Tips & AdviceGet the latest SEO tips for improving the visibility of your website in 2019. We look at everything from the power of in-depth content to making the most of meta descriptions. Find out why it pays to be more social as well as the importance of forging new and relevant links. - Read More
- Social Media Scheduling ToolsHarnessing the power of the best social media scheduling tools can increase productivity and allow you to focus on creating the best content for digital marketing plans. With so many platforms to manage, its key that you find the right service that will help, not hinder, your work rate. - Read More
- Website SpeedWebsite speed is an essential component of how search engines like Google and Yahoo rank you in their SERPs. It is also one of the main reasons why internet users abandon attempts to visit a site with 40% of internet users not being prepared to wait longer than 3 seconds for a page to load. - Read More
- WordPress BasicsGetting started with WordPress can be a bit daunting if you are a beginner so find out some of the basics of this popular content management system. Here we give you a brief overview of pages, posts and plugins as well as themes, menus and categories. - Read More
- WordPress PluginsThe strength of WordPress lies in its flexibility – with over 50,000 plugins available, there’s opportunity to optimise every facet of your online presence. If you’re not taking advantage, you’re missing out, so read on for 20 WordPress plugins every site needs for 2019. - Read More
- WordPress vs WixWordPress is an online powerhouse, but many web users are tempted by Wix. It offers a simpler interface, but not necessarily a better one for any business serious about their digital presence. Explore why a WordPress website is still the professional’s choice over Wix. - Read More
In our internet marketing glossary, we don’t concern ourselves so much with what each of these terms means but focus more on common questions about how these fit into the practical world of digital marketing.
Most people know that SEO is important for online marketing but do you know what the best business directory sites for SEO are, how to use canonical URLs to boost SEO or what the popular spider tool and crawler software, Screaming Frog, does to optimise your search engine performance?
In this online marketing FAQ, we take the most common but important elements of basic digital marketing terms and apply them to useful key questions to give you actionable answers.
Digital Marketing: Meaning
Also known as online marketing, digital marketing encompasses any method of promoting a brand, product or service using digital media. This includes search engines, paid internet advertising, developing social media channels and using online content to drive traffic to your business.
It also includes other forms of electronic advertising such as electronic mail, using smartphone apps and mobile technology plus display advertising.
Digital marketing, in key terms, is about harnessing the power of traditional marketing methods and applying them through digital technology.
Digital Marketing FAQs
In this glossary, you will learn about various different areas of digital marketing.
- Digital marketing and why it is important.
- The objectives of digital marketing.
- The advantages and disadvantages of digital marketing.
- The differences between Push and Pull Marketing.
- The difference between traditional PR and online PR.
- The best strategies for online advertising.
- The differences between direct marketing and digital marketing.
- What PPC is & how it is different from SEO.
We even take a look at some examples of the most successful online PR and marketing campaigns plus answer some pertinent questions about video marketing, content marketing and ways to create a successful online brand.
All of our online marketing FAQs have advice on how to achieve the best results from your digital marketing strategy.
Social Media: Digital Marketing Lingo
When it comes to battling with your competitors to create engagement with potential and existing customers on social media, the right online marketing tools and strategies can give you the edge.
Knowing the right online marketing terminology can all help but knowing how, and where, to apply this knowledge is key.
Our digital marketing FAQs answer key questions like:
- How do I run a successful social media competition on Facebook and Twitter?
- Is Pinterest or Instagram better for SEO?
- What are the pros and cons of Facebook remarketing vs Google remarketing?
- How do I carry out effective video marketing with YouTube?
- What are the best free social media scheduling tools?
- When is the best time of the week to post on social media?
- What are the best social bookmarking sites for generating traffic?
Covering all of the popular social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest and Linked In we give you the low down on the best ways to optimise your online presence via social media.
SEO: Digital Marketing Jargon
We also cover important terms and how to apply knowledge to best utilise them with answers to questions like:
- How different forms of duplicate content can harm SEO.
- What does bounce rate mean and how does it impact SEO?
- How does Bing compare with Google for SEO?
- How to carry out a technical SEO audit.
- What are the top SEO tips for using robots.txt and mistakes to avoid?
- How to carry out SEO analysis using Google analytics and Google search console.
- What is structured data and how does it impact SEO?
Updated regularly with the latest information and trending questions, our SEO online marketing glossary will give you critical information to hone your digital marketing strategy.
Content: Online Marketing Glossary
Understanding the difference between a content writer and a copy writer is just one of the key things we look at in our content digital marketing FAQs. We take the most commonly used terms and phrases for digital content creation and use these to answer critical questions such as:
- What can link research tools teach us about writing better content?
- How to research attention grabbing blog topics.
- Why choosing WordPress over Wix can have an impact on the SEO for your blog.
- What are featured snippets (Google Questions) and how can you get your website to show?
- What are the best video sharing sites for boosting digital marketing?
All of the glossary items give you up-to-date advice on the best methods to increase visibility for your content and to optimise performance for the best results.
WordPress: Digital Marketing FAQ
When it comes to the popular website hosting platform of WordPress, we apply common digital marketing terms in a practical way to demonstrate:
- The best WordPress plugins that your site shouldn’t be without.
- Why you should be choosing a WordPress design over a Yell website.
- The difference between Joomla, Drupal and WordPress
- WordPress basics for beginners.
- How to add bulk redirects in WordPress
When it comes to staying up to date with the latest trending terms for WordPress, our glossary has the best actionable strategies to boost the performance of your site.
eCommerce: Basic Digital Marketing Terms
Whether you are using Magento, WooCommerce or other open source eCommerce website, we keep our online marketing glossary up to date with the important answers to questions like:
- What are the best ways to increase your order value using Magento?
- What is the Magento marketplace?
- Why is now the best time to migrate to Magento 2?
- How can open source be used to create a world class ecommerce website?
- How does WooCommerce compare to Magento Open Source?
We also keep you informed about the latest tips to boost sales using eCommerce as well as what to look for in an eCommerce Developer.
Website Design: Digital Marketing Key Terms and Website Design
Critical to the success of your digital marketing strategy is the performance of your website and our online marketing FAQs include answers to some important issues, such as:
- Why your website needs accelerated mobile pages AMP.
- How to establish a successful xml sitemap and website structure for SEO.
- Strategies for defining your website requirements.
- How to check your website speed using Pingdom tools & GT Metrix?
- How to choose your website domain name
We also answer relevant questions like:
- How to improve page load times & website speed using Google Lighthouse.
- How to use VR web design to enhance your digital marketing.
- How to choose your website domain name.
As well as this you can find examples of creative web design and tips for building a mobile friendly website plus plenty more practical pieces of advice to enhance your online presence.
Opace and Digital Marketing FAQs
Opace is a specialist digital marketing agency providing clients with expert advice and professional support across all aspects online marketing. From SEO & PPC to Web Design, eCommerce and Content Creation, we deliver tailored solutions to help your digital strategy achieve success.
Bookmark this page to ensure you never miss out on the best explanations and applications of digital marketing terms.